Tuesday 9 February 2016

Best pancake recipe

I've tried a few pancake recipes over the years and the one I tried this year is the one I'm sticking with.
It makes ten small pancakes
Ingredients
  • 100g plain flour
  • pinch af salt
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 tbsp vegetable oil
  • 300ml milk
  • butter for cooking
Method
  • Put flour in a bowl and add salt.  I have a wonderful big Le Creuset jug that is perfect for this and allows the last dregs to be poured into the frying pan.
  • Make a well in the flour and break the eggs into the well.
  • Add the oil - don't use olive oil because you don't want a strong tasting oil. Rapeseed oil is fine, or corn oil.
  • Add 50ml of the milk.
  • Whisk using hand whisk.  I think using a blender or electric/wand whisk, is overkill.  You are aiming for a sloppy smooth paste consistency.
  • Gradually add remaining milk, mixing all the time.
  • Rest or don’t rest the mix - it doesn’t make any difference.
  • Put a small knob of butter in a frying pan over a medium to high heat and, when it’s bubbling, poor enough mixture to cover two thirds of the pan and whoosh it around so that it covers the whole of the base of the pan.  I use a ladle to try and ensure the same amount (about half a ladle) is used each time.  
  • When the underside has cooked feel free to flip the pancake or use a fish slice if you’re of a more cowardly persuasion (I don’t flip).
  • When the new underside is cooked your pancake is ready.
  • Serve with whatever takes your fancy and start with a new knob of butter for the next pancake.
The depressing thing about making pancakes is that the chef spends all their time making the blasted things and there’s never enough time to eat one.  I end up waiting until the family have had their fill and then I get left with whatever batter is left in the bowl.  I then cook, eat, cook, eat, whereas everyone else enjoys a continual stream of pancakeage.  Pancakes are a lovely treat though and I always mean to enjoy them on more than just Shrove Tuesday.

No comments: